Friday, July 5, 2013

Why?

I have toyed with the idea of starting up a photography business for a couple of years now. I've played around with my camera settings, messed with different editing techniques, and taken a thousands of pictures.  And if I'm being completely honest, I'm still scared. It is incredible how fear can incapacitate you, even when it is completely irrational at times. In the past few months, I have been feeling a divine push to move forward with it.  A push to put aside my expectations of what a "successful" business looks like.  To let go of the fact that there will be people who do not like my pictures. Yes, those things are scary, but at the same time, it is really exciting!! Moving forward means that I am making a choice that this little passion of mine, capturing memories, is far more important than those fears. I read a quote recently that said perfection is the highest form of procrastination.  Boy, was that convicting! Deep down, I was believing this lie that in order to be successful, I needed to be perfect. I'm letting myself off the hook right now, I'll never be perfect. I will always be a work in progress.


I have been asking myself a lot of WHY's lately. Why do I want to do this? Why do I like taking pictures? Why am I different? I believe in making memories. I think pictures can carry a legacy of a family. One hundred years from now, my great great grandchildren will be able to look back at my thousands of pictures and get a sense for who me and my hubby were. To know us, and who my boy was, how we lived, what we cherished. I think it is important for families to preserve this, because in a heartbeat, all that we know and love can be stripped away. And then what? Some people don't have the luxury of having a loved one alive to ask those questions or relive those memories. I want to help provide this to people. Childhoods go SO fast.  Having a little one makes that all the more true for me.  I want to capture those little things your kids do. Freeze that moment in time. Because they will probably grow out of it. And when mom's and dad's have multiple kids, and are trying to run a household and work fulltime, it makes it even harder for a parent to stop, enjoy and remember those little things. Like how your girl likes to have her tea party set up 'just so' before anyone can take a drink. Or how your boy run's circles around you in the kitchen. Or just how little your newborn was, and how they fell asleep on your chest with ease in those first weeks. My hope is that in 10 years, my pictures will bring you back to that day, that time period.  And for a while, you can relive it. That would make all of this worth it to me.


I know those fears will creep up again, and when they do, I'll be able to look back here and remember why I started this in the first place.


I have some great family sessions lined up this month and some adorable kiddos, so check back soon!!! 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yay! i get to be the first to comment! this is amazing! YOU are amazing. i am so excited to see how you grow as a person and an artist! congratulations!
Anjuli